Monday, August 17, 2009

Remembering the Alamo...and Long-Lost Friends

After a month of planning and anticipation, Ben, Becca and I loaded up the Camry and headed to Texas last Wednesday to visit our long lost BFF Reid who just moved to San Antonio in June. We departed from Edmond at 7:15 p.m. on Wednesday and after a 7-hour drive filled with traveling games, loud music, and junk food, we arrived at the Keystone apartment complex in San Antonio at 2:30 a.m. on Thursday.

Southbound on I-35.

Upon arrival we went straight to sleep and slept until 12:30 while Reid was hard at work at his grown-up job at Jos. A. Bank. Luckily, we were able to visit Reid at work after eating lunch at Whole Foods. Ben and Becca had pizza and I had a Tuscan chicken sandwich. I would say it was a good experience overall.

Grown-up Reid and tank top Ben.


When Reid got off work we all went grocery shopping at H•E•B to get supplies for our cookout. This was my first H•E•B experience and I must say, I was pretty impressed. (Aside: Just visited the H•E•B website where I discovered that H•E•B stands for "Here Everything's Better. Definitely agree that it is better than Oklahoma grocery stores.)

We went back to Reid's apartment and the boys set out to start grilling. Thankfully Reid's roommate Scott was there to start the fire. After eating the awesome burgers the boys made for us we went back to the apartment and had peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream (my housewarming gift to Reid). After hanging out at the apartment and watching Season 1 of Entourage we decided to go for a night swim where we played the movie game and were entertained/annoyed by Reid's performance of Chi Spring Sing shows from the last decade. After the swim we went back and watched X2, the Reid Agan commentary edition.

Group swim pic.

On Friday we got up around 11, watched some more Entourage Season 1, then headed to New Braunfels, TX, to float down the Comal River. Not being a huge fan of water untreated by chlorine, I was slightly leery of this adventure, but it turned out to be a lot of fun!

Sexy boys.

After three hours on the river we headed back to the apartment and got ready for dinner and the Rocketboy's concert. We had dinner at "Alamo Café" then we headed to Sam's Burger Joint to hear the Rocketboys and Quiet Company. I hadn't heard either of these bands before Friday night, but I ended up really liking them! After the concert we went back to Reid's, listened to Jack FM and played darts.

Check out Reid's sexy new frat boy look.

Saturday was "tourist day". First stop was Big Lou's Pizza where they make 42" pizzas. We weren't really feeling up to the challenge, so Ben and Reid split a regular sized pizza and Becca and i split a calzone. I think I can speak for us all when I say it was awesome! Next we headed to the Rivercenter in downtown San Antonio where we watched Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams inThe Time Travler's Wife. Not very touristy, but it was a decent movie nonetheless.

Outside of Big Lou's

After visiting the Alamo in San Antonio's 105º weather the gang headed to Lulu's Bakery & Cafe where they make giant cinnamon rolls! However, upon our arrival we discovered that we would have to wait two to three hours to taste one of their enormous cinnamon rolls...so we left.


Saturday night we all pitched in and made awesome fajitas (thanks to H•E•B's fajita meal deal)! Becca made some great guacamole in which we dipped the Texas-shaped tortilla chips we purchased at H•E•B! The rest of the evening was spent hanging out at the apartment cherishing our last night with our long-lost friend. Unless you are Becca and passed out on Benadryl.

Family dinner!

Sunday morning Becca, Ben and I, sadly packed our suitcases and loaded up the Camry once again to head back to Oklahoma. Our weekend in San Antonio with our gracious host Reid was well worth the 16-hour roundtrip. The four days I spent in Texas further affirmed my desire to live there before I die. It also reminded me that I have awesome friends with whom I love hanging out!

Bye Reid! Have fun being a grown-up!


1 comment:

  1. I had a great time at Lulu's!
    http://eatingtheroad.wordpress.com/2009/12/09/lulus-bakery/

    ReplyDelete