Sunday, June 14, 2009

Is Twitter the new Facebook?

One May morning as I was routinely creeping around on Facebook and somewhat listening to the ladies of The View discuss the latest hot topics in Hollywood, my attention was snagged as Whoopi introduced the co-founders of the hot, new social network known as Twitter.  For over a year I had heard endless talk of this new form of communication and while it had sparked my interest I wasn't fascinated enough to check it out for myself.  As Evan Williams and Biz Stone joined Whoopi, Joy, Sherri, Elisabeth and Barbara on the interview couch I finished catching up on the Facebook updates I had missed during my eight hour slumber and tuned in.  As the two men explained this new trend to both the women of The View and the millions of curious women tuned in, I began to find my curiosity heightening.   Mr. Williams and Mr. Stone explained that the creator of Twitter, Jack Dorsey, found his motivation for creating this new social network simply from wanting to know what his friends were doing at all times.  As I continued intently listening to these two men plead their case I began to let my skepticism subside and opened my mind to the exciting world of Twitter.  Like Whoopi, I was extremely confused as to the overall purpose and idea behind Twitter.  But one thing was for sure, I definitely wanted to know what my friends were doing at all times, too!  Who wouldn't?


So as I finished watching The View that morning I opened my laptop to the Twitter website and created an account.  Come to find out some of my friends were already on Twitter and I was able to locate them with ease.  After "following" the common folk that I actually know, I decided to branch out and began to follow Oprah, Ellen Degeneres, Brand New, Derek Jeter and Shaq.  I soon realized that I didn't really care what famous people were doing, especially those who posted new tweets every 30 minutes (cough, Shaq).  Needless to say, I stopped following Shaq; but, other than the other four friends I had on Twitter, I was limited in my following capabilities.  Luckily, a friend of mine visited from Texas a week later and informed me that he too was on Twitter!  After quickly seeking each other out on our new social network we began to spread the word and in three days we had successfully marketed to three of our friends, who I am proud to say are now part of the wonderful world of Twitter.  

As I grow more and more attached to Twitter I can't help but wonder if this is just a passing trend that will fizzle out in time as I begin to grow less and less interested in the current events of my friends.  I would like to think that as I become more experienced in tweeting, re-tweeting, following and being followed, my love for Twitter will only continue to grow; however, if I can't seem to get anymore of my friends to sign up and let me follow their every move I don't foresee my relationship with Twitter growing.  So, to all you skeptical "Facebook only" people out there, step outside the social networking box and give Twitter a chance.  After all, Twitter could very well be the new Facebook and you don't want to be out of the loop.

No comments:

Post a Comment